POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oak Tree montage, WIP : Oak Tree montage, WIP Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:00:53 EDT (-0400)
  Oak Tree montage, WIP
From: P Brewer
Date: 23 Oct 2006 18:20:01
Message: <web.453d3f591e377cd9918360b20@news.povray.org>
My wife and I do some amateur photography, and have done a good job of
decorating our house with prints. The dining room has been an issue though.
I would love to put a three or four panel image up showing a large solitary
oak tree in winter, summer, fall, and spring. I can imagine it quite well,
but can't seem to find a good subject despite always keeping my eyes open.

I was thinking this weekend, heck, why not make my own reality. I'm getting
the hang of semi photo-realistic renderings with lots of detail in POV. I
may as well put it to good use.

Here are the fruits of my labor so far. I think I've got something that's
pretty close to realism for the focus of my image. I was hoping to get some
criticism it.

It's an xfrog model with texture maps applied. Rendered with a little
radiosity and one light source. One problem I'm having is getting the look
of filtered light through the leaves. I get some unrealistic dark spots
under the canopy. Making the leaves partially transparent doesn't seem to
do much unless I over do it. Then the leaves on the fringe are too
transparent. Any ideas?

Also, I mentioned above the 4 seasons idea. What can I do to differentiate
spring from summer? I'd like 4 distinct images. I was thinking a foggy
picture for spring with some small patches of snow?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'oak_tree_fall.jpg' (319 KB)

Preview of image 'oak_tree_fall.jpg'