POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Povray crashes : Re: Povray crashes Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:32:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray crashes
From: Allan
Date: 21 Oct 2006 14:50:00
Message: <web.453a6af7b2080fe2387a47510@news.povray.org>
Good grief!  With an attitude like this it is no wonder that POV-ray for the
Mac is all but doomed for extinction.  Where you get such authority to
dismiss OS X like this is beyond my comprehension.  I have never heard
anyone in my years of experience ever say the gcc compiler was "poor".  As
to the "rushed and incomplete port" of OS X to the intel architecture:
where have you been hiding the last few years?  OS X has been running on
intel processors since version 10.0.  It was not rushed, on the contrary,
Apple took their time to release the intel version for obvious marketing
reasons.

As for the "broken emulator", Apple clearly states that well written and
well behaved applications will run with no problem under Rosetta.  I have
the latest version of Photoshop v9.0.2 running on my MacPro: it is not yet
a native intel app and it runs under Rosetta with no problems whatsoever.
I also have Silo v1.42 running with no problems.  These are hardly trivial
applications.  What kind of platform dependent tricks do you employ in
POV-ray that a) makes it difficult to port, and b) breaks Rosetta?

Fortunately, MegaPOV is running great on the MacPro.  It is a native intel
app and has a number of very nice features that are not available in
POV-ray.  My advice to all the intel Mac users here: get MegaPOV and be
happy.