POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC entry - almost finished! : Re: IRTC entry - almost finished! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC entry - almost finished!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Oct 2006 09:25:00
Message: <web.45377b7bd0051878731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > There seems to be a consensus for making her transparent... this in
> > fact was my original intention, but there were two problems. Firstly,
> > other bits of her become visible, making her more confusing visually
> > and swamping the background objects.
> Maybe that could be avoided by using a bounded_by box for the ghost that is
> between the ghost and the camera, so that only rays coming directly from the
> camera can "see" her?

I'm not sure I understand What you mean. Do you mean a bounding box that
doesn't intersect the ghost? How will that affect her transparency?

> > Secondly, when transparent she
> > exhibits severe media artifacts in the form of saturated pixels,
> > which I have been unable to remove.
> That's a tougher problem, but is it still apparent when high-quality
> antialiasing is used?
Yes. I've tried an aa threshold of up to 0.001... everything else looks
great, but she's still speckled! I've tried media aa as well.

Annoyingly, these artifacts appear in her reflections too. Since I'm using
hardly any phong or specular highlights and relying on true reflections to
provide shiny finishes, this can affect almost any object! :-(

Bill