POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP:ocean[jpeg@82kb] with jpeg, this time : Re: WIP:ocean[jpeg@82kb] with jpeg, this time Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP:ocean[jpeg@82kb] with jpeg, this time
From: Smws
Date: 18 Oct 2006 13:00:00
Message: <web.45365ca2fa563cefda53d9e40@news.povray.org>
marabou <not### [at] availableyet> wrote:
> Sorry, my newsreader did not insert attachment...
>
> This image has it starting point long time ago. At that time I had
> problems with water and surface of wood. Now, I promise, it looks much
> better! Or am I wrong?
> In scene were only two external files used: one for sign and one for
> the cloud.
> In scene is only one cloud, but it should be few more. Cloud is made with
> df3, so rendering lasted 30 min. I have no idea yet how to boost render
> time with it, so I can can make more clouds, what would look much better.
> With styling of cloud I am not happy, because I not yet know how
> programmingly do it better.
> Building site is sky_sphere, too. In scene are edges from one color to
> other and they should become soft or floting.
> Besides this it is a good starting point to do scene more fine...
>
> comments, critics and ideas are welcome.

It looks very nice. I really like the water, and you have good models for
the chair and for the bottles. Would it be possible to add foam perhaps
around the bottles, chair, shoreline?

As for the cloud, a cloud like that, to my mind, tends to be more
transparent at least at the edges. Clouds that fully block the blue of the
sky are generally the big kinds with flat bottoms. This however is a hard
problem and even the best POVers have difficulty with it, as I understand.
If you wanted you could try MakeCloud by Gilles Tran:
http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm
or Jaime Vives Piqueres' "stacked sky":
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Stacked_Planes

Of course making it in your own fashion might be more satisfying, but you
can take a look at how others have done it.

The only other criticism I have is the light- on a day like that, with
little clouds and sharp shadows, it seems like the light at the beach
should be much brighter and more contrasted with the shadows. This however
is very subjective.

Good image, and good luck!

-Stefan