POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Head test w/Wings3d : Re: Head test w/Wings3d Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Head test w/Wings3d
From: Random Pete
Date: 3 Oct 2006 22:10:00
Message: <web.45231703e4de19fd9cf609e10@news.povray.org>
> I'm also at a loss on the "whites" of the eyes. They either look glowing or
> plastic when I fiddle with the texture.

Try a semi-transparent surface (try a crackle pigment with a thin red band
at 0.0-0.05 or so in the colour map for the effect of blood vessels) with
some scattering media inside. Plus slight reflection & highlights to give
the impression of wetness.

For a realistic iris you'll want to layer some radial and spherical textures
with varying amounts of turbulence. Here's a good close up of an eye I
found: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/journalspace/eye.jpg

I was trying to make a convincing looking eye recently (albeit one belonging
to a being from another dimension, however I was basing it on a human eye
just with very different colours). The iris was the particularly tricky
part. I didn't finish working on it since it didn't end up fitting into the
scene particularly well, but I'd like to use it elsewhere...

Pete