POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cuda & Bel Air : Re: Cuda & Bel Air Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cuda & Bel Air
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Sep 2006 21:40:00
Message: <web.451b26cf9738833ad206dcfe0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> As for automatically getting the depth info, I don't think it's possible.
> (This isn't a file format issue, kits for any 360 panoramic image, which
> can be non-HDR.  HDRs simply contain more luminance information about the
> scene).

Good to know.  Not having delved into HDRI yet, I had assumed the images
were more "complex" (whatever that means!)

> Everything radiates out from the center of the probe.  This can
> cause difficulties with close/far objects in the probe and the scene,
> especially when simply mapped to a sphere (eg. parallax issues depending on
> view point).  Obviously, probes with no relatively near objects work best to
> minimize the effects.

Thanks, a good tip.

> You can also try to 'recreate' the basic geometry of
> the background, and sperically map this rather than using a sphere
> (difficult if you know nothing of the dimensions of where the probe was
> created, but it can be done through trial and error).

Yes.  As I understand it, many of the CGI special effects facilities in
Hollywood and elsewhere do this, by taking detailed measurements on-set
with laser rangefinders or some-such.

> The simplest way to
> deal with these spherical maps is to try to keep the mapping sphere
> realtively large compared to the scene, and try to keep the objects and
> line of view close to the centre (centering on the camera location gives
> the least parallax problems for direct line of sight, centering on scene
> objects give the least problems for reflection).  If there are any close
> objects in the spherical map, try to hide them from view as best you can.

Very useful info, much appreciated!  Thanks.

Ken