POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years) : Re: WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years)
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Sep 2006 05:35:01
Message: <web.4516504136e9b45ffc5913e30@news.povray.org>
"Randy" <han### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> I think my first experiences playing around with POV were at around v2.1.
>
> However, I have mostly used it like a 3-D CAD thingy, to visualize some
> ideas and such.  So getting it "realistic" wasn't something I strove for.
>
> This image is of a Steam Loco I was working up for doing a small animation
> to amuse my small child and grandchildren (yes, I had another one very late
> in life).

I really like your first image! It has a "minimalist" look to it (in the
best sense of the word.) Even the camera angle is "just right." The image
reminds me of the painter Thomas Hart Benton's work.  Or even Rene
Magritte. (Did I spell that right?) Personally, I think that adding too
much detail would spoil the effect. To me, it doesn't seem to need
"realism," in the sense of POV photorealism. Oh, and I like the original
engine shape better, too--those different-sized tubes just look more like
an old-timey train to me.

Some stylized puffs of smoke would be nice.

Making a POV image for your child and grandchildren is a wonderful idea. It
kind of puts the entire process of POV work in perspective. Many of us out
here work at trying to attain higher and higher levels of "perfection" in
our images (whatever that means.) Perhaps we should take a step back every
now and then, leave the technicalities behind, and just have some fun with
the program, as you are obviously doing. Your image is actually quite
inspiring.

Ken W.