POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HRDI, Radiosity and Jewelled Box : Re: HRDI, Radiosity and Jewelled Box Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:35:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HRDI, Radiosity and Jewelled Box
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 19 Sep 2006 08:45:00
Message: <web.450fe63b6712a676c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Janet" <par### [at] attnet> wrote:
> I tried HDRI and I love it! I am wondering how it really works. This
> probably sounds dumb, but I'm assuming radiosity is required for HDRI, can
> someone confirm this??
>
> I did use radiosity, no lights, for this image. The box was modelled in
> Blender. I put a bump_map on the box top surface.
>
> I found a bunch of free HDRI maps at these links:
> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10152791/
> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10036562/
> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9597501/

Nice.

Have a look at this site, it has some good explainations of HDRI.
http://www.highpoly3d.com/writer/tutorials/hdri/hdri.htm
HDRI is useful for radiosity, but is not limited to it.  It is also useful
for plain environment mapping where it's reflections and other effects (eg,
motion blur) are much more effective than standard low dynamic range images.

Some more freebies (these are actually ones that I made):
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27943328/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28753146/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36091025

-tgq