POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New desktop background - WIP : Re: New desktop background - WIP Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:42:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New desktop background - WIP
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 16 Sep 2006 00:50:01
Message: <web.450b810b39cdd44885de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> However, I agree that the shadow looks too uniform and should be darker
> under the planets.  I have radiosity brightness level set to 1.  Do you
> think that's too high?  The entire image looked a little washed-out
> originally, so I post-processed it (gasp!) to increase the contrast.
> Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this in POVRay?

Lowering the error_bound should take care of the bland-looking shadows.
Values below 0.5 are generally needed to avoid that ray-traced look.  I
seldom go much lower than that, but i've seen code (written by POVers with
more patience than i) with error_bound 0.1 or even less.  Unfortunately, a
low error_bound also tends to introduce artifacts.  Decreasing pretrace_end
and increasing count can help smooth them out.