POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Catapult - height_field issue..? : Re: Catapult - height_field issue..? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Catapult - height_field issue..?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Sep 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.45082ae26d4b72cec150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> wrote:
> Below are the original image of the catapult that Im trying to clone,
> and the progress so far. I wish I could say the top one was mine, but it is
> of course not.
>
> Anyways, Im looking at the metal details now, and the two lion heads roaring
> in the front pussles me... I tried using a height_field from a adjusted
> googled image... but, well, it's not that great as you can see.
>
> Any ideas on how to create a lion head like that?
> Or any teqniques on transforming "real" images to usable height_fields?
>
> Kaplonk!
>
> //RH

If you can find a nice mesh of a lion (or just head)
1. Import into POV
2. Apply basic depth map texture (i.e. gradient)
3. Render hi-res face-on with orthographic camera.
4. Resulting image can be used for heightfield.

You will need to play with the rendering of the mesh to get what you want
probably.  The hard part might be finding a decent lion mesh.
-tgq