POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Catapult - height_field issue..? : Re: Catapult - height_field issue..? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:36:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Catapult - height_field issue..?
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Sep 2006 05:45:00
Message: <web.4503dd676d4b72cec2d4f2880@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> wrote:

> Anyways, Im looking at the metal details now, and the two lion heads roaring
> in the front pussles me... I tried using a height_field from a adjusted
> googled image... but, well, it's not that great as you can see.

The lion's head is interesting. It does indeed look like it could be modeled
as a heightfield (no undercuts--kind of like a vacu-formed shell.) I seem to
remember coming across an interactive heightfield modeler app somewhere on
the 'net, but can't remember where. Allowing one to paint an image and to
see the resulting HF in real-time.

> Or any teqniques on transforming "real" images to usable height_fields?

If you could solve THAT little problem, we would all be in your debt! ;-)

Nice work on the catapult so far. (Was this a real weapon?)

Ken W.