POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pondering Perfection ... : Re: Pondering Perfection ... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pondering Perfection ...
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 8 Sep 2006 14:35:01
Message: <web.4501b79d329ebd51c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Hi Ken,

"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "Mike Andrews" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Another week, another scene!
> >

> Beautiful composition, beautiful lighting--just top notch.

Thanks very much. I'm pleased with the way it came out too :-)

> I see(?) that you're using a sky_sphere or HDRI to add lighting from above;
> have you tried the scene without that (just using the panel lighting?) I'm
> working on a scene of that kind, and (in POV-Ray), the radiosity settings
> are very exacting; but no matter how much I tweak, artifacts/anomolies show
> up that I just can't seem to get rid of. They come and go depending on where
> the camera is placed and how small the ambient "light" sources are.  Just
> curious if you've run into this as well.

I've put the scene (without the figure) on p.b.s-f if you want to see for
yourself.

For this scene I'm just using a sky sphere with a gradient. I did try a
couple of test renders without the sky in, just to see what the light
contribution from the panels was, but I didn't use the full quality
radiosity that I did in the final image. Radiosity with small bright
objects is ... twitchy. The only thing that you can really do is use as
high radiosity settings as you can without driving your computer catatonic.
I also tend to use the MegaPov 'randomise' sample directions option - but
I'm probably biased as I suggested this ability :-)

Have a look at the radiosity settings that I used in this scene and see if
you can adapt them for your own, if that helps.

> Ken W.

Bye for now,

Mike.