POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pondering Perfection ... : Re: Pondering Perfection ... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pondering Perfection ...
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 8 Sep 2006 13:55:01
Message: <web.4501adb8329ebd51c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Hi George,

"George Pantazopoulos" <go### [at] tomyaboutpage> wrote:
> "Mike Andrews" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Another week, another scene!
> >
> > Subtitle: 'Vicky ponders the perfection of the Golden Section ...' :-)
> >
> > Bye for now,
> >
> > Mike Andrews.
> >
> > PS: On a technical note - the scene is pure radiosity, but I'm using a
> > modified set of sample directions in MegaPov to give a slightly different
> > effect.
>

> I love the image and it's special look.. and the spheres add lots of
> interest!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

> I think youre on to something with the modified sample directions. Imagine a
> patch to POV-Ray where you could use a different sample set for different
> materials. Then you could have surfaces with varying degrees of glossiness
> rendered with radiosity! It shouldn't be that difficult to implement such a
> patch... :)

It's an interesting idea. It wouldn't give real 'glossiness' unfortunately
because the samples are clustered around the surface normal rather than
around the reflection vector, but it would give a bit more texture
'tweakability'. Hmm, I'll have to think about how it would be implemented

> George
> http://www.gammaburst.net

Bye for now,

Mike.