POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More phun with photons : Re: More phun with photons Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More phun with photons
From: Mike Sobers
Date: 1 Sep 2006 18:30:00
Message: <web.44f8b341e0a9c14d1009749b0@news.povray.org>
"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> "stm31415" <sam### [at] cscom> wrote in message
> > Does this object(s) have any ior to it? It does not seem like a material
> > that needs photons at all.
> >
> > It is a cool image - but I think you may be spending a large render time
> for
> > very little photonic(?) result.
> > -s
> > 5TF!
>
> I agree, i'm not sure I see any photons.

IOR is 1.3, but the objects are a thin shell, so the effect is reduced vs. a
solid object.  Also, I used "collect off" for the objects, since I read in
the documetation that this is suggested for glass.  The biggest effect is
the change in the shadows (darker due to refracted light) and the caustics
visible on the floor.  I'm still learning how/when to use photons, and
turning them off changed the render from 5.5 hrs down to 1.5 hrs so I'm not
sure if it's worth it for this scene.

Mike

Attachment is same render without photons.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rocketball2.jpg' (49 KB)

Preview of image 'rocketball2.jpg'