POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Aug 2006 06:15:01
Message: <web.44eeccfebfc3ad84731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> Nice work, Bill!
Thanks!

> You are on the right track. Still a bit *cotton*-like I believe, not
> entirely cloud-like. How is the overlapping container issue behaving?
> Gilles' macro suffers from that unfortunately.
Yes, this is an issue since I am following Gilles' recipe almost to the
letter... and one must also remember to increase max_trace_level!

"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> That's very nice work Bill, but to me, it has a 'painted' look to it at the
> moment. And if I say painted, I mean in almost professional terms.
I think that's the low quality media settings talking. I'll try with more
intervals and samples and see how it compares.

"Joanne Simpson" <cor### [at] onewhiteravencom> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> could you post your media settings? I might have a scene to go with your
> clouds ;-)

Certainly! Check out Gilles' cloud examples too - I think his look much
better than mine.

#declare Cloud1 = box {
  -0.5, 0.5
  pigment { color Clear }
  finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 }
  hollow
  interior {
    media {
      scattering { 1, 0.0275 extinction 1 }
      absorption 0.02
      emission 0.01
      intervals 3
      samples 10,100
      density {
        density_file df3 "CloudTall.df3"
        interpolate 1
        translate -0.5
        scale <1, -1, 1> } } }
  scale 150*<4/3, 1, 4/3> }

This is a higher quality version. Set intervals to 1 and comment out samples
for the version I posted above. If you want the whole scene let me know;
you'll also need some suitable dxf files. They're about 9MB each, so I
can't really post them!

Bill