POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mario rendered in Lego : Re: Mario rendered in Lego Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mario rendered in Lego
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 16 Aug 2006 18:50:00
Message: <web.44e3a064be537bf343a5e2560@news.povray.org>
"scam" <sca### [at] mailusydeduau> wrote:
> "Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > The table might seem a bit less flat if you used a greyscale of the
> > image for a normal, or for a heightfield.
> > The color of the table is a near match for much of the picture as
> > well, it draws the eyes away from the subject, maybe darker?
> > A bit more reflection in the table finish would be ok too.
>
> I like that: tips to make my photos (the desk) more photo-realisitic :P

Without presuming to read Tim's mind, i would say that the color of the
table is a question of composition, not realism.  I.e., if this were a
photograph, the table would *still* look too bright for the composition,
even though it is precisely the right color (by definition!) for reality.

One neat thing about art is that you can create your own reality.  (Just be
sure you can find your way back to the real world.)  To fix the composition
in POV-Ray, all you need is to tweak the finish { diffuse } value.  In real
life you'd need wood stain, a drop cloth, adequate ventilation, a chemical
mask, and the spouse's permission.  (Or maybe find a different table.)

The normal or heightfield suggestion *can* make the photo look more
realistic, because the photo itself is one dimension short of reality.