POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render HD format : Re: Render HD format Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:03:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render HD format
From: cyberspittle
Date: 12 Aug 2006 19:55:00
Message: <web.44de69f18c16eaf546ff7aae0@news.povray.org>
Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] NOSPAMucalgaryca> wrote:
> cyberspittle wrote:
> > Hi ______.
> >
> > I've mae some animations in 640x480, but want to re-render in HD format. I
> > was wondering what custom resolution that is? I searched on the internet
> > (Google) but am confused, as there seem to be different resolutions; ie.
> > 720p 1080i 1080p. Anyone render to WXGA monitor? I am concerned about
> > stretching. Right now, I have a 19" Viewsonic WXGA monitor (cheap, I know,
> > but less than $200). It looks fine on the PC, but when I output my display
> > on a TV using s-video, it isn't in a wide screen. Is it a resolution
> > problem (I am sharing my Win XP desktop)? TIA.
>
> You need to set two things - the image size and aspect ratio.
>
> To set the image size you simply make an entry into your resolution.ini
> file for the appropriate size (720p = 1280x72, 1080i/p = 1920x1080).
> All HDTV compatible equipment should handle all three formats equally
> well, so it's upto you which one you want to use (quality-wise there
> isn't much of a difference as the 1080i/p formats have to make some
> sacrifices to squeeze all that info into each frame).
>
> But pixels in an HDTV image are not square (aspect ratio of 1), so you
> need to tell povray to render non-square pixels.  I'm not sure if there
> is a more efficient way of doing this, but I always use the camera
> command for this.  You simply add the "right" command to the camera,
> with the desired aspect ratio after the "right command.  For HDTV this
> is 16:9;
>
> camera {
>    location <0,0,0>
>    look_at <0,0,1>
>    up y
>    right (16/9)
> }
>
> Bryan

Bryan,

Wow! That was the secret! I had been playing with the res.ini, but to no
luck. I thought POV couldn't render right, as it stretched the image. I had
tried the different resolutions (mentioned on Wiki-P), but to no avail. I
had thought the problem was my understanding of HD. The "right (16/9)" is
the key. Thanks!