POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Aug 2006 16:20:00
Message: <web.44db92d488c06099361daf70@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Hi Ken. Are you the same Ken who once ran a big list of graphics links?

Nope, never did. Sorry!

> If I may give you some settings I always use for radiosity. Try these alone...

I'll give them a whirl, and report back with the results.  Thanks.

> The error_bound should be low for better shadows. This is one of the most
> important settings. error_bound and count together should be modified
> before anything else.

Yes, I've been wondering about that.  It seems that count
ISN'T the FIRST  thing to modify (given defaults
for everything else.) Not much visual
difference between low and high values, without modifying other things "in
step" as well. Thanks for the tip.

> In addition to these things, you should use a bright, fading (fade_power 2)
> light inside the sphere instead of just making the sphere very bright. An
> area_light (with orient and circular flags added) works well for this. The
> sphere should be given the no_shadow flag to let the light shine through.

Alas, I was *hoping* I could light this scene realistically just by using a
pure, small ambient "light source," but I do understand that the radiosity
equations (and/or just the default values) were made to be used with
ACTUAL light sources. I may ultimately have to do as you suggest.  Haven't
given up yet, though! ;-)

Let me ask a very basic question:
1)  Is it ALWAYS better --that is, more realistic and of higher quality--to
use the highest count possible and a very low error_bound value? (Assuming
that the resulting l*o*n*g render time is unimportant.)

Ken W.