POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Aug 2006 04:00:01
Message: <web.44d9955188c0609c3a1ae450@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> Hi Ken:
>
>    It's seems not that bad to me, but indeed it can be better. First, to
> control the color spill, just use gray_threshold.

Sorry, I may have described things the wrong way.  In my scene, it *seems*
that there should be MORE color spill onto the ceiling, from the
saturated-color walls. But then again, the tall (distant) box shape seems
to show quite good color spill from the red wall.  So perhaps I'm looking
for an effect that really shouldn't be there. Difficult to tell!

>For more defined
> shadows, error_bound should be lower and nearest count perhaps higher.

Yes, I'm beginning to understand that a lower error_bound value "breaks up"
(and distorts) the ray-created color "patches" into smaller and smaller
pieces, which would seem to be more accurate. (Smoothing out those many
patches has proven difficult for me, though. As I understand things, a
higher count is then needed.) A higher nearest_count DOES radically improve
things--but from what I've seen, it appears to make shadows less defined,
sort of smoothing them out. Am I mistaken about that? Is it interacting
with "something else" that I should change?

> In the other hand, I don't think you need more than 2 bounces, 3 at
> most (recursion_limit).

I'm still trying to understand this "bounce" idea. But you're right, higher
recursion_limit values seem to have less and less of an effect. I've
settled on 3. Is it correct to assume that the more bounces, the more the
various radiosity-created colors in the scene blend together and become
MORE muted? If so, it sounds like something to be avoided (?) As you can
see, I'm really struggling with these concepts!

>    Hope this helps...

Yes indeed! Thanks.

Ken W.