POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 8 Aug 2006 15:00:00
Message: <web.44d8dee588c0609cd12e5440@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> HI, all.
Hi Ken. Are you the same Ken who once ran a big list of graphics links?

>I've been away from the forums for awhile (life got in the way.)
Me too. In a BIG way.

If I may give you some settings I always use for radiosity. Try these alone:

 brightness 1
 pretrace_start 0.08
 pretrace_end 0.04 // or 0.02, or 0.01 for better, smoother results
 count 300 // to 1600 for higher sampling
 recursion_limit 1 // or 2, no more than three should be used, IMO
 nearest_count 20 // for smoother results on flat surfaces
 error_bound 0.1 // for good, well-defined shadows, or 0.2, or 0.5 for
faster rendering
 gray_threshold 0 // for best color-bleeding
 normal on // use with lower count values(10-100), and a lower
error_bound(0.1)

The error_bound should be low for better shadows. This is one of the most
important settings. error_bound and count together should be modified
before anything else.

In addition to these things, you should use a bright, fading (fade_power 2)
light inside the sphere instead of just making the sphere very bright. An
area_light (with orient and circular flags added) works well for this. The
sphere should be given the no_shadow flag to let the light shine through.

That's it, Ken. I hope this helps!

~Sam