POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: Scowdich
Date: 8 Aug 2006 04:20:01
Message: <web.44d84796ced82d47d1a114be0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> I couldn't get that to work, but cones (-1 to 1) produces something close.
> However, there are no holes in the middle.
>
> Mike

Mike-
The three tori should work, as long as the minor radius is almost as large
as the major.  It would, however, be possible to create a central hole with
your cones: extend each cone so it intrudes into the cone opposite it; then,
differencing them all from the main sphere would produce the desired result.

To everyone:
Here's my original product, with some modifications.
-Hollowed out by differencing a version which uses slightly smaller minor
axes.
-Filled halfway with "water" - glass modified with an IOR of 1.33, equal to
that of water.
-Rendered for about 6 hours, rather than 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, I suffer the dread disease known as "Have to watch the huge
image render-itis".

Any suggestions for improvements?

Perhaps I'll make a Klein bottle and fill the universe with a quart of
water, or just fill the bottle with an infinite volume of water.  Heh.

-Scowdich

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hollow torus1.jpg' (649 KB)