POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: Scowdich
Date: 8 Aug 2006 00:15:00
Message: <web.44d80f1cced82d47d1a114be0@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> Intersection of a sphere and three perpendicular toruses?
>
> --
> Mark

Wow!  Congratulations!  It is, indeed, three perpendicular tori, aligned
along perpendicular axes, with a ratio of major axis:minor axis of 5:4.  I
recently figured out how to hollow it, not by scaling the whole object and
constructing a difference (there would be trouble with the hole at the
middle), but by scaling the minor axis before intersecting the three tori.
It's rendering now; I hope it turns out all right, as there might be a
problem with the max trace level.  I'm pleasantly surprised that this
constructin generated so much interest; I might have to elaborate on it or
make more.  Thanks for joining in, everyone.  By the way...this was my
first construction in POV-Ray.  Any suggestions?