POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet Another Ecosystem WIP ... (~240KB) : Yet Another Ecosystem WIP ... (~240KB) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Yet Another Ecosystem WIP ... (~240KB)
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 28 Jul 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.44ca3432e3f31a435e1e98150@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,

I've been playing with the auto-ecosystem and plant placement ideas since
Norbert showed his vegetation WIPs and the link to the paper (thanks
Norbert!).

The vigour and competitive ability of the plants in my eco-WIP are
determined by two environmental variables - 'wetness' and 'suniness' -
derived from the base terrain function, with each plant type liking a
different environmental niche.

The initial seeding was 500 randomly scattered plants and the picture is
after 20 iterations of local seeding and self thinning, giving 5260 plants
that have grouped into their prefered niches.

The last few iterations took about 160 seconds each on a 1GHz PIII and
rendered in about an hour and a half. The bushes were created with
POV-Tree.

Bye for now,

Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message