POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vegetation, first test... (WIP) : Re: Vegetation, first test... (WIP) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vegetation, first test... (WIP)
From: benighted
Date: 27 Jul 2006 10:45:00
Message: <web.44c8d165b456ad5afbb4eed00@news.povray.org>
Warning, A long boring post. Viewer Discretion Advised. ;)

"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> How many iterations you have used?

In that image i think it was around 600 iterations.

> At which order your calculation time increases with growing plant count?

The scaling of the program is quite horrible as I have done very little to
optimize it yet. But the order is about N^2.4, and at N=10 000 plants on my
computer i get about 1 IPS (Iteration per second), and at N=50 000 it's
around 1 minute for each iteration. I think it can pretty easily be lowered

In my current code the plants growt rate is really slow (about 0.01 units
per iteration) therefore the large number of iterations. I count as 1
iteration is approx 1-3 days irl, and all plants grow from a small seedling
(0.1 units) at a randomized point in a totally clear field that measures
100x100units and the largest plants can attain a radius of influence of
25units, i.e. approx 2500 iterations in optimum conditions. So if one has
20 000 plants it takes 5h to get to that point. But the grasses are mature
at about 100 iterations and die at a age of about 300-600. What growth
rates are you using on your plants?

At this point I'm trying to implement some code to import a heightfield for
the surface and maps for wetness and so forth.

A little screenshot of how the program looks at this point with N=10000,
noting to write home about but one can see that the differentiation between
the species is pretty strong already at 84 iterations so the competition is
stiff between the plants, and the trees are still tiny at this point (they
are the pure green spheres). The numbers in the parenthesis is just the
number of each species and inside the () is the number of mature plants
(will later on be used to calculate the number of seeds that germinate each
iteration).

I'll try to get a new render chewing tonight with more plants, and a more
interesting terrain, and try to post it tomorrow morning.

/Jani

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'screenshot.png' (56 KB)