POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fun with images #1 : Re: Fun with images #1 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun with images #1
From: EagleSun
Date: 25 Jul 2006 22:40:00
Message: <web.44c6d4dfcd32438188f74c710@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <ant### [at] goldsdsmtedu> wrote:
> In between working on other projects over the past month, I've been
> doing some experiments with image processing in POV.  My first
> installment is my latest experiment.
>
>  While this is an interesting technique, I have yet to find any way to
> make it practical.  The biggest problem is one of memory: my computer
> has 2Gb of ram, but POV still crashes when parsing this effect at
> dimensions somewhere above 9.21875' by 5.25'.  This is due, no doubt, to
> the rather LARGE number of objects generated by my macro - at this size,
> there are roughly 148,680 individual objects.

What is it?  Looks like a 295x168 TV up very close.  Not sure why your
dimensions are a factor of 32.  Not quite sure what this object is that you
created.  But 295 x 168 x 3 = 148,680 objects.

Looking again, I'm guessing you read each pixel of a photo and divided them
up into R, G, B components, created a cell with 3 atoms in it, each having
an R, G, B atom, based on the pixel values of the photo....?

If that's it, then would it be "cheaper" to first split your photo into 3
gray photos and do the similar process?  (Cheaper on memory?)