POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I Should Clean My Refridgerator More Often : Re: I Should Clean My Refridgerator More Often Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I Should Clean My Refridgerator More Often
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 19 Jul 2006 14:45:00
Message: <web.44be7cf5f26f824c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Artemia Salina <y2k### [at] sheayrightcom> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:53:17 -0400, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
>

> > Depending on how you make the thing, you could add a slime layer
>
> Oh man, that is great! How did you do that? I'm guessing that it's a
> second, larger semi-translucent blob over the four white spheres?
>
> The creature (except for the eyeballs) is made of blobs with many
> small spherical components. I suppose I could re-work the code so
> as to make two copies of the creature's body, one slightly larger than the
> other, and use the larger one as the slime layer. That method would also
> allow me to experiment with having the slime drip off of the creature by
> adding components to the slime layer.

Yes it's blobs over spheres.  The trick is to get the blobs so they are only
slightly larger than the underlying sphere over the main surface, but
thicker over the crevices. Code follows:

//START

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  ambient_light 1
  adc_bailout 0.001
  max_trace_level 10
}

camera {
  location  <1,2,-3>
  look_at   0
}

#declare LB=
sphere{0 50 hollow no_image
  texture{pigment{rgb 1} finish{ambient 20}}
}

light_source{0 rgb 1
  looks_like{LB}
  fade_power 2  fade_distance 300
  translate <-100,100,-100>
}

union{
  sphere{<-0.75,0,0> 1}
  sphere{< 0.75,0,0> 1}
  sphere{< 0,0,-0.5> 1}
  sphere{< 0,0,0.5> 1}

  material{
    texture{
      pigment{rgb 0.85}//rgb <0.038, 0.033, 0.202>
      finish{ambient 0
        conserve_energy
        diffuse 0.4// brilliance 0.52
        reflection{0 1 fresnel on metallic 0}
      }
    }
    interior{ior 1.33}
  }
}

blob{
  threshold 0.12 //blob only ~0.01 units bigger than spheres
  sphere { <-0.75,0,0>, 1.25, 1}
  sphere { < 0.75,0,0>, 1.25, 1}
  sphere { < 0,0,-0.5>, 1.25, 1}
  sphere { < 0,0, 0.5>, 1.25, 1}

  hollow
  material{
    texture{
      pigment{rgbf 1}  //texture clear, using interior only
      finish{ambient 0
        conserve_energy
        diffuse 0.0
        reflection{0 1 fresnel on metallic 0}
      }
      normal{bumps 0.2 scale 1/20}
    }
    interior{
      caustics 0.1
      ior 1.56
      fade_distance 0.0075
      fade_power 1001
      fade_colour rgb <0.80784, 0.90588, 0.61176> //slime colour

    }

  }
}

plane{y, -1