POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crater field update - Mars : Re: Crater field update - Mars Server Time
12 Sep 2024 10:50:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crater field update - Mars
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 19 Jul 2006 11:10:01
Message: <web.44be4859b22ae349534cf7610@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > "Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> > > I compiled the crater field generator code by PM 2Ring with a few
> > > modifications:

> If you want, I can post a link to the source files, and hand the project
> back over to you. I don't think I'll have time to work on them much in the
> near future.  The only reason I went to BMP is because I am using Windows,
> and I wanted immediate feedback on the look of the craterfield.

I'd probably work from my sources, but I wouldn't mind looking at your code:
I'm curious about the geometry of your central peaks. I'll get back to you.

> Also, the
> random number generator didn't work when I compiled it under Microsoft
> Visual Studio (something about the syntax on the bit shift commands) so it
> only produced 1 crater at X,Y = 0,0.

Hmmm. I'll have to take another look at that.

> Other than that, it would probably be
> better to have a PGM output, especially since that could get you to 16 bit.

Yes. Older NetPBM programs can only read 16-bit files in ASCII format, which
are huge, but all modern compilations should be able to read & write 16-bit
in binary, if they use the standard NetPBM headers. I wanted to keep the
program as compact as possible, so didn't bother using the standard NetPBM
headers, since the original program only does output, not input.

> I was going to include .jpg and .png output options, but I didn't want to
> have to wade through the class definitions to pick out the small bit of
> code I wanted.  As it stands, the executible is only 183k and I wanted to
> keep it small.  Besides, the complied version I made will probably only run
> under Windows anyway.

I don't have a Windows C compiler, which is why I only posted a Linux
version (I don't think anybody wants the Amiga version :). I've only done
non-platform-specific coding on the PC: Javascript & HTML, Postscript, and
of course, POV SDL.

Here's a pic, with exaggerated heights, from when the "outer wall blending
into the background" algorithm was not quite right...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'planetf7s.jpg' (161 KB)

Preview of image 'planetf7s.jpg'