POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crater field update - Mars : Crater field update - Mars Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Crater field update - Mars
From: Mike Sobers
Date: 14 Jul 2006 17:50:00
Message: <web.44b8114d6dbc0f41009749b0@news.povray.org>
I compiled the crater field generator code by PM 2Ring with a few
modifications:

New functionality:

1) If desired, large craters can now have a central peak.

2) You can specify erosion - the program will average the pixels the
specified
number of times to simulate eroded craters.

3) Output is to .bmp instead of PGM.  Unfortunately, in this current version
it's a 24-bit file with only 8 bits of info, so an 8000 x 8000 crater field
produces an output file somewhere around 187 MB.  But you can always
convert to .png after you make the .bmp output file.  Maybe I'll eventually
re-write this to produce 16-bit output (.pgm, .tga, or .png).

Also, maybe I'll create an option to import an existing hightfield.  That
would allow you to use a pregenerated landscape and then subject it to a
meteor storm.  Thoughts?

I ran this image 1200 x 1200 pixels, for 1 million craters.  Largest craters
have a radius of 120 pixels, with all craters larger than 100 pixels having
a central peak.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: