POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cratered asteroid for Bleimann & Birch : Re: Cratered asteroid for Bleimann & Birch Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cratered asteroid for Bleimann & Birch
From: EagleSun
Date: 14 Jul 2006 16:25:01
Message: <web.44b7fcddb397f055841337530@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Great, natural looking asteroid! Hmm... But the color indicates chalk or
> ice, while the structure indicates real stone. The color should be the color
> of stone, as well. But it is a wow-asteroid, already!!!
>
> Best greetings,
>
> Sven

Hi Group!

The crater map was obtained from somewhere... (sorry for being vague on this
because I don't remember where exactly...) and my limited memory thinks it
might have been related to a site having information about the moon.  After
rendering, I'm OK with it if you make the claim that this crater map was
generated by computer.  The original crater map is 4000 x 4000, 16-bit,
where white represents high altitude and black represents low altitude.  I
had to reduce the size, and I inverted it because the iso-surface function
has backwards interpretation.

I was playing around with ambient parameter.  In a realistic situation, I
would shut down that parameter completely.  And I wouldn't make a second
light source either.  But there has been recent posts where the second
light source was included, so I thought to kinda maintain it for a while.
Now come to think of it... many of the asteroids are kinda close to
Jupiter.  Could there be an orangish second light source?

I only did a practice in hope it would be helpful for someone to pick it up
and perfect it.  Later I realized someone had developed a really nice
crater and erosion functions.