POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RSOCP - wip : RSOCP - wip Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  RSOCP - wip
From: Jon Buller
Date: 10 Jul 2006 12:20:01
Message: <web.44b27d55b7d1969748362b170@news.povray.org>
A (not quite) RSOCP image...  It's a (not quite) checkered sphere over a
(not quite) reflective plane.  Yup, I'm still playing around with those
Penrose tiling macros.  I saw someone claim to have put Penrose tiles on a
sphere, but it looked more like a regular plane tiling with a fish-eye
distortion applied in Photoshop.  I wanted the real thing.

Like a geodesic sphere where the lines are all great circles except for a
few places where they turn odd corners, this tiling has 10 points on the
equator where the all the Penrose rules still apply, but there aren't
enough tiles at those vertices to look exactly right...  (It makes squares
and diamonds, rather than pentagrams and pentagons at those points.)

Jon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'penrose.png' (300 KB)