POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Constant width grid : Re: Constant width grid Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constant width grid
From: Carl
Date: 9 Jul 2006 11:20:01
Message: <web.44b11d3fe4538ab647c7ed100@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> See "Re: TRON Game Grid..." in povray.newusers. The grid lines get bigger as
> they get farther away from the camera.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Nice work, far better then I could do but its still missing something.

http://www.wwwmwww.com/Matt/grid5.png

Refering to the above, things look about correct when the camera is looking
at 45 degrees to the grid lines (the black arrow).  However when the camera
is looking down one of the grid lines (as it is with the red arrow) the
effect looks backwards.  The grid line should narrow in this direction and
you can see that it doesn't.  Also the grid lines perpendicular to this one
shouldn't narrow with distance near as much as they do.

Check out this frame from the film:

http://www.wwwmwww.com/Matt/grid.png

Note when you are looking parallel to the grid lines its the perpendicular
ones that bleed together and not the not the ones that you are looking
along that are merging.

To prove that the grid lines narrow about correctly when the camera looks
along them look at this:

http://www.wwwmwww.com/Matt/grid4.png

The top image is a frame from TRON.  The bottom image is a POV-Ray sceen
rendered using the grid I posted in "Re: TRON Game Grid..." in
povray.newusers.

Carl