POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle World : Re: Crackle World Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle World
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 26 Jun 2006 08:20:00
Message: <web.449fcf9dab68785b1bd1c060@news.povray.org>
"Janet" <par### [at] attnet> wrote:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Here's a shot of a partially terraformed planetoid.
>
> This one's nice and bizarre - twin craters - a giant number 8 fell from the
> sky. What do you use to make the height field(?)

To generate the heightfield, I used an earlier version of a crater field
generator that I posted in early December last year. Here's an example
scene of ice craters, complete with the heightfield used to generate the
image. The scene file lets you select whether to render the heightfield
data as an actual heightfield, or as an isosurface.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.438b0e52708b6d64f7ce4c3a0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=229667
&toff=450&mtop=221081&moff=10

The crater field generator runs on Linux. I don't have a C compiler for
Windows. Here's a link to the program (with C source and docs):

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/message/%3Cweb.438fbab0708b6d6491e6526b0%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.
438fbab0708b6d6491e6526b0%40news.povray.org%3E

The old version didn't smooth the outside of craters properly, and you can
see the resulting anomolies around the 'figure-8' craters.

I suppose I could write the crater generator in POV SDL, but it would be
very slow: you need millions of craters to make a realistic scene.