POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soma Cubes : Re: Soma Cubes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soma Cubes
From: Hosiah
Date: 15 Jun 2006 10:35:00
Message: <web.44916fc8159d1826a8c263d50@news.povray.org>
Pointless OffTopic Rave ahead:

OMG!!! I first read about the Soma cube as a child reading Martin Gardner's
"Math Games and Puzzles" - I must have not been older than ten. For a
couple of decades after this, I searched the world in vain for a place to
buy one, and finally gave up in desperation and made my own out of
glued-together wood blocks - three times, and all three times, somebody
would see it, ask to borrow it, and never return it.

Until two years ago, when I walked into a game store at the mall and saw one
for sale! I think that must have made me, the shop owner, and Mr. Gardner of
Scientific American fame the only three people to have heard of such a thing
at the time. The store went out of business a week later. I guard that
puzzle like a hawk, now.

And then I stumble on this thread, and here's somebody bandying them about
like they were as popular as iPods all along! This is nuts!