POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artefacts : Re: artefacts Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artefacts
From: EagleSun
Date: 15 Jun 2006 09:05:01
Message: <web.44915a6feb9e5db5841337530@news.povray.org>
Bill Hails <me### [at] billhailsnet> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any Ideas what's causing these artefacts?
>
> I'm going for ersatz fluffy clouds, they'll print quite small
> so the level of detail isn't an issue.
>
> It's a blob + media.
>
> There's nothing special about the media:
>

> #ifndef (CloudScale)
>     #declare CloudScale = 1;
> #end
>
> #local MCloudColour = rgb 0.95;
>
> #local MCloudFinish = finish {
>     ambient 0.2
>     diffuse 0.6
> }
>
> #local MCloudTexture = texture {
>     pigment {
>         #if (1)
>             colour rgbt 1
>         #else
>             colour rgb 1
>         #end
>     }
>     finish { MCloudFinish }
> }
>
> #local MCloudInterior = interior {
>     media {
>         density { MCloudColour * 0.06 / CloudScale }
>         #if (1)
>             absorption rgb (1 - MCloudColour) * 8.0
>         #end
>         #if (1)
>             scattering { 3, MCloudColour * 0.1 }
>             // scattering { 4, MCloudColour * 1.0 }
>         #end
>         #if (1)
>             emission rgb MCloudColour * 0.07
>         #end
>     }
> }
>
> #declare CloudMaterial = material {
>     texture { MCloudTexture }
>     interior { MCloudInterior }
> }
>
> When I render the cloud in a scene by itself it looks fine,
> but when I put it alongside other objects in a (not too) complex
> scene these white flecks appear.
>
> --
> Bill Hails
> http://billhails.net/

I've seen this before.... and I suspect they are intersections of several
objects.  You mentioned an object called "blob".  If they intersect at many
places, you'll get these lines.  With renderings I have done, the only thing
I could think of was to change the size or position of the objects by +/-
0.001 or 0.005 or some tiny random number, to minimize the number of
intersections.

However in your case, it might be better for you to put them into "Union" or
"Merge".  Merge is slower but may be better in your case... because with
merge, the objects then actually merge into a single object, which means
there will be no intersections at all.

Now come to think of it... I think I'll try that on my renders... trying to
merge water with the surface of the planet....