POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Lotus Exige : Re: WIP Lotus Exige Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Lotus Exige
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Jun 2006 05:45:00
Message: <web.448e878b57d6092d311dd050@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Not a car's shape mi waan, but a ship shape. If it would be a regula rship,
> I could use a program like Free!Ship, but I need the hulk of an ancient
> Roman galley. I am in maritime archaeology as one of my interests, I know
> how the hulks look alike. But I just cannot do that with POV-Ray, due the
> lack of knowledge.

Complex "organic" or curvy shapes are best created in an external modeling
program. POV itself has some excellent (if difficult to master) modeling
tools like isosurfaces and blobs, but when things get really difficult, I
usually go to a simple-to-use program like sPatch (free) of HamaPatch
(inexpensive.) These are "patch modelers" with excellent visual feedback,
which allow you to build practically any shape point-by-point.  The models
can then be exported to POV-Ray--as either bicubic patches or triangle
meshes-- for texturing.

Ken W.