POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - the library : Re: WIP - the library Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - the library
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Jun 2006 05:20:00
Message: <web.448e8279779fe25d311dd050@news.povray.org>
"RobF" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I had some issues using an area light, perhaps you can help.
>
> 1) I seem to get lots of grey speckles when I used an area light. I had to
> go up to adaptive 3 to get rid of them.

That's usually a result of not having enough light sources in the area
light. Strangely, I find that "speckled" look to be useful at times
(lighting snow, for example.)  But inappropriate here, of course.  If you
haven't already done so, you might try an area spotlight, which will render
faster than an "unconstrained" area light.

About lighting in general: Being a fan of good cinematography (and having
done theater lighting for plays), I prefer to use "dramatic" lighting in
most of my own POV scenes...whatever "looks" good, from whatever directions
(and with whatever colors) seem appropriate...as opposed to always making
the light match the positions and colors of any "practical" sources in the
scene. A matter of taste, I suppose. To me, dramatic lighting just looks
"more real" than reality. Otherwise-drab scenes can take on a magical
quality.

Ken W.