POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another, Pondering Sheep Image : Re: Another, Pondering Sheep Image Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:36:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another, Pondering Sheep Image
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 Jun 2006 14:40:01
Message: <web.4489bec1df8d5bed43a5e2560@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> And many
> politicians even declare loudly that Germany has no fascists (upfront to the
> football worldmastership).

Very dangerous attitude.  Indonesia once declared that they had no Al Qaeda
cells.  Then one of their non-existent Al Qaeda cells blew up a nightclub
in Bali.

> But many islanders are also very religious. And I really mean: very, very,
> very religious. Some of those religious families even take their children
> out of school just because they don't want their children to learn about
> science and evolution, can someone imagine that...

Excessive religious devotion is common to most of the western hemisphere.
There's even a home schooling industry in the states specifically for
parents who would rather their children learn fairy tales instead of
science.  The irony is that evolution isn't really taught in most school
districts; political pressure from Christian fundamentalists has been so
heavy that biology curricula have been gutted of real substance.  What most
people "know" about evolution is not at all what science claims.

And it doesn't stop there.  There's a very strong movement to force
_taxpayer supported_ public schools to teach their religion (disguised as
"creation science" or "intelligent design") to all schoolchildren.

> I am a fighter against religious intolerance. I am also an atheist who can
> be, therefore, tolerant to each person, independent by religion (Buddhism,
> Sikh, Jews, Moslems, Hindus, Christians, Shintoism, and all the other ones).

I'm also an athiest, and i'm tolerant of anyone who's tolerant of me.  But
contrary to their own delusions (and their own constitution), religious
intolerance is rampant in the USA.  I just got an e-mail from my
Pentacostalist sister, urging me to write my senator to vote for a
constitutional amendment to preserve Christians' "right" to deny other
people their rights.  (They didn't phrase it that way, of course.)  Mind
you, _nobody_ is denying Christians their right to practice their religion,
but a very vocal minority of Christians feels threatened by people who don't
follow their rules.  The courts have been steadily hacking away at
Christians' special privileges, and the fundamentalists interpret that as
"persecution."

I don't know how science education and religious tolerance are in Latin
America and most of the Caribbean, but i know that religion is ubiquitous
in this part of the world.

> Of which descendence are you? When I was still living in Berlin, i was a
> part of "Savannah United e.V.", an African cultural organization group.
> Organizing African festivals, and so. I am a native German (but one of the
> good ones, I hope).   ;-)

My ancestors were brought here chained in the cargo holds of slave ships.  I
don't know which parts of Africa they were from.  This is true of most
blacks in the Americas.