POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - the library : Re: WIP - the library Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - the library
From: RobF
Date: 8 Jun 2006 10:20:01
Message: <web.448831eb779fe2529c50a910@news.povray.org>
I had some issues using an area light, perhaps you can help.

1) I seem to get lots of grey speckles when I used an area light. I had to
go up to adaptive 3 to get rid of them.

2) The light shade texture is opaque and uses double_illuminate. The area
light is actually below the shade. Are you suggesting using a rgbf based
texture to let the light through?

3) The area_light is defined inside the lamp CSG union. The lamp's units are
in inches and in my scene file, I scale it by 1/12 to get it in feet. I
assume the  light_source units like translation are scaled as well, what
about fade_distance?

4) The area light has the following settings
  area_light
  <2, 0, 0> <0, 0, 2> // lights spread out across this distance (x * z)
  10, 10                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16
lights)

I get the following warning. As far as I can tell, I scale the lamp evenly
in all directions

  Parse Warning: When using orient, the two axes of the area light must be
of
  equal length. Only the length of the first axis will be used.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.