POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Galaxy? : Re: Galaxy? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Galaxy?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 May 2006 19:45:00
Message: <web.447b751eb1d7796f85de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <go_### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I'm looking for help with this galaxy. I want to be able to zoom into any star
> in the galaxy. The problem is there aren't any - it's just all media densities.

That's an awful lot of disk storage!

I don't know if this will make your task easier or more difficult, but some
stars are a lot brighter than others, and will show in a less detailed
view.  The brighter the star, the rarer, so there won't be many of these.
As you zoom in, the dimmer stars become visible, but in a smaller FoV.
Thus, as you have to take more, dimmer stars into account, you'll have a
smaller proportion of them to consider.  (Life imitates Skip's LoD plan)

I'll leave it up to you how to locate any of 100,000,000,000 stars, but with
this "progressive resolution" of stars, at least you won't have to consider
all of them at once.

Among the brightest stars are the blue supergiants.  These tend to
congregate in clusters along the spiral arms, near those pretty pink
emission nebulae.  This image of the Centaurus A Galaxy shows individual
blue stars while dimmer stars are unresolved.
<http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1998/14/image/a>

Good luck!

_________________

Your galaxy reminded me of some images of real life galaxies.  The near
edge-on view reminds me of M106 in the constellation Canes Venatici
(underneath the handle of the Big Dipper or Plough).
<http://www.seds.org/messier/more/m106_more.html>

The face-on view looks somewhat like M99 in the constellation Coma Berenices
(between Leo and Virgo).  M99 is in the heart of the Virgo Supercluster, a
vast congregation of tens of thousands of galaxies.  Our Milky Way Galaxy is
on the outskirts of this supercluster, 55 million light-years from the
center.  The Virgo Supercluster's gravitation is so powerful that it
counteracts the expansion of the universe in its vicinity!  M99 is part of
the central cluster of about 3000 densely packed galaxies; the
gravitational interactions there whip the galaxies around so fast that
several of them actually show a *blue* shift.
<http://www.seds.org/messier/more/m099_more.html>