POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Earth: Your Advices are Welcome : Re: Earth: Your Advices are Welcome Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth: Your Advices are Welcome
From: Tom York
Date: 29 May 2006 13:30:01
Message: <web.447b2f0da626bc347d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> - Who knows any way to limit the lights to only the nightside?

You can use a gradient pattern that's orientated to point at your light
source to mix your textures. You have to transform it a bit first, though.
I ended up writing a small scene to check this, so I'll just post it in
povray.text.scene-files (hopefully).

> - I need a sphere which functions like fog: a color shift from transparent
> at the outest outside to blue in the center, for an atmosphere.

That's a job for scattering media, I imagine. Emitting media won't do it.
There have been several examples posted up here, like this one by Tek:

http://news.povray.org/43c8dedf%40news.povray.org

Or this one, by Scott Gammans:

http://news.povray.org/web.3fbd42078ae459e44e0a58990%40news.povray.org

(hopefully those work, if they don't then just search news.povray.org for
"scattering planet atmosphere" keywords or similar).

Tom