POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon : Re: Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon
From: EagleSun
Date: 28 May 2006 22:50:00
Message: <web.447a60b9f93ecc729756002c0@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Hello Eagle Sun,
>
> I am trying out your macros but I need to know, which which options you are
> using them for your Saturn scene. Can you publish how you call these marcos?
>
> Only then I can try to help. I first need to re-achieve your results in
> order to understand the problem.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

Here's the way I call it....

Saturn(0, 5, 0, 120, 0, -23.7)
TerragenViewFrom(1.414, 326381.5, 0, 0, 0)

If you mean "Atmosphere_Option", I chose "5".  But same phenomenon is
reproduced no matter which option I choose.

The "TerragenViewFrom()" macro looks like this:

#macro TerragenViewFrom(_zoom, _fromobject, _shift_x, _shift_y, _shift_z)
 camera
 {
  direction <0, 0, _zoom>
  up y*image_height/image_width
  right x*PixelRatio
  look_at <_shift_x*unitscale, _shift_y*unitscale, _shift_z*unitscale>
  location <0, 0, -(_fromobject*unitscale)>
 }
#end

Here are comments that will provide a bit more explanation...

// Stars_Crackle(_heading, _pitch, _bank)
// Planet(_distance, _hour, _year, _heading, _pitch, _bank)
// Satellite(_sun, _distance, _hour, _year, _heading, _pitch, _bank)
// TerragenViewFrom(_zoom, _fromobject, _shift_x, _shift_y, _shift_z)

I've also tried a wide range of values for max_trace_level from 5 to 20.
The phenomenon has never gone away.  As far as I can tell.... the objects
are 1) Isosurface, 2) hollow sphere with media (3), and 4) disks.  At most
extreme liberal thought, I can't see any reason to go higher than 8.... but
what do I know, I'm a beginner.

Any planet image may be used for the map.

Let me know if you need more info...