POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Failed : Re: Failed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Failed
From: Mark Birch
Date: 18 May 2006 18:50:01
Message: <web.446cf8ffbbca8b234daddc090@news.povray.org>
> How can I make this look cool?
>
> (Text = CSG. The S in particular was very hard; it involves 4 cylinders
> and 2 cubes. (?!) Lighting is radiosity (bluish) + 1 light sournce
> ("sun", yellowish). Hmm...)

Instead of using boxes, use prisms with linear_spline to make the letters.
This will make it easier to clean up the 'N'.

The 'S' could be done with a prism using bezier_spline to get both flat &
curved surfaces, but you need to know a thing or two about where to put the
control points.  If you post the code for the 'S' I can do a bezier
version...

Beyond that, using photons & dispersion could make quite a difference.
Radiosity won't have much effect on the 'glass' letters.  Unless you plan to
put more plain-coloured (not transparent or too reflective) objects in the
scene it would be quicker to leave it out.