POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Placing random spheres (~330k in attachments) : Re: Placing random spheres (~330k in attachments) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Placing random spheres (~330k in attachments)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 May 2006 12:50:01
Message: <web.446a028af5b1f07d6c4803960@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> > Running 3.6 on a 1.8GHz laptop with 512MB RAM:
> >
> > 0.2  = 0:08
> > 0.23 = 1:26
>
>    I guess we use the same technique but you optimized the SDL more
> to be faster. Or perhaps you use something really innovative?

Depends, I haven't seen yours yet... but based on the times, I would assume
they are similar.  I don't think I did anything really innovative, just
tweaked my algorithm to try to minimize the calcs required as much as
possible.  Actually I started with a bit higher times for the 0.23, but
made some algorithm optimizations to speed it up, then made some SDL
optimizations for further speeding.

-tgq