POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - I love it! : Radiosity - I love it! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity - I love it!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 May 2006 08:00:01
Message: <web.44686c92293b371731f01d10@news.povray.org>
There are plenty of pictures like this in tutorials, etc, but this doodle
turned out to be such a nice demonstration of how radiosity can make an
image come alive that I thought I had to share it.

Leftmost image - no radiosity, single light source.
Middle image - (fairly) basic radiosity, identical geometry, single light
source.
Rightmost image - (slightly) tweaked radiosity, (slightly) improved
geometry, background, single light source.

Although there are still quite a lot of artifacts, the increase in realism
is breathtaking.

Actually, the third image is a double-pass render, the reasons for which may
be interesting to some. You should be able to see (from reflections, etc)
that there is glass in all the openings. I found that using radiosity with
the glass darkened the whole image considerably, because the radiosity
samples destined for the sky were being intercepted by the glass panes.
Using a first pass without glass corrected this to some extent, although
obviously supplementary samples will again be intercepted. Does anyone know
of another way to avoid this problem? Hopefully I'm missing something
bleedin' obvious... :)

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: