POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PovRay, Science, and HDRI : Re: PovRay, Science, and HDRI Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Science, and HDRI
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 11 May 2006 16:15:01
Message: <web.44639a496ea18d9a463f3120@news.povray.org>
"Paul Bourke" <pdb### [at] swineduau> wrote:
> I used PovRay to create a number of illustrations for a Vision Research
> paper
>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/papers/visres/visres.pdf
> Most of the images where very harsh crisp colour, orthographic cameras,
> minimal lighting, no shadows, etc. Not terribly satisfying .... here's a
> page from the paper with one of those diagrams and the geometry the way it
> was supposed to be seen. :-)

Paul, that's really nice.  I have a grant for this summer (o.k., winter for
you) to enhance my on-line Pre-Calculus class -- I'll use Povray for images
and animations.  I find myself always trying to decide between quick and
pretty.  Personally, I usually opt for pretty (even though I don't always
have a good eye for "pretty"), not just because it's fun, but for
legitimate reasons, like, it increases student interest, and often enhances
understanding.  I haven't been pushing it to the extreme of
"photorealistic," but, seeing what you've done, I might just attempt to
raise the bar on a few of my illustrations.