POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : atmosphere compensation in satellite images [161+188k] : Re: atmosphere compensation in satellite images [161+188k] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmosphere compensation in satellite images [161+188k]
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 7 May 2006 12:25:01
Message: <web.445e1ed5cd6f80c41bd1c060@news.povray.org>
> PM 2Ring wrote:
> >> Actually the atmosphere has a mostly blue influence.
> >
> > Well, blue + yellow = green ...
>
> Actually - no.

Ok. You're the expert. I just assumed subtractive mixing, like with paints.
Whereas yellow through a simple blue filter looks grey.

> > Now I get it. (I think :). So eventually your software will be able to give
> > the correct atmospheric compensation for any altitude? This sounds like it
> > could be complicated, since the atmospheric density varies quite a bit over
> > space and time.
>
> This is a very simplified model.  As outlined on the page i linked to
> more complex compensations taking into account spatial differences in
> the atmosphere density would require additional data and further
> assumptions about the surface properties.

Ok, I've read your full article now. Sorry, I should've done that before I
started with my comments...

> > If descending in an anim, will we need to use multiple image map files, or
> > will we be able to apply the required compensation by applying a correction
> > function to the image_map in SDL? I suppose the multiple map method will be
> > much faster than doing it in SDL.
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about.  This has actually nothing to
> do with POV-Ray, it's about processing of images.

I'm just talking about using this colour-corrected data in a raytraced,
animated approach to the Earth's surface.  What would one need to do to get
correct planet surface colour when seen at different altitudes?

Thanks for you patience with me, Christoph.