POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soma Cubes : Re: Soma Cubes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soma Cubes
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 5 May 2006 03:30:00
Message: <web.445afe0e159d18261bd1c060@news.povray.org>
> This reminds me of a similar puzzle that I saw solved a while back - a 5x5x5
> cube made from similar arrangements of smaller cubes, although not a
> complete set. I sketched the solution and raytraced it with wackily
> textured pieces:
>
> http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/gallery4/puzzle.jpg
> http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/gallery4/puzzle2.jpg

Interesting! Those textures sure are wacky, alright!

> There's a couple of coincident surface problems in these images, but they're
> not too serious!

I didn't notice them. Nice rounding on your polycubes, BTW.

I was going to modify the rounding algorithm I used on the polyominos I
posted a while ago, but it looked like too much work, modifying a 2D
algorithm to work in 3D. Besides, I wanted to keep the individual cubes
visible in the Soma cube pieces, so I'm just using a superellipsoid.