POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.7 - Feature Request: Close Button : Re: POV-Ray 3.7 - Feature Request: Close Button Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7 - Feature Request: Close Button
From: nemesis
Date: 4 May 2006 07:10:01
Message: <web.4459e0b3c3915a223976a8750@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Greetings!

heya!

> But it is still
> kind of uncomfortable to close a file (close a tab).
> I always had to use a right-click and then again to move
> inside its popup menu to click finally on "Close File", or I had to click on
> "File" (insie the regular menu), then to click again on "Close".

or you can just press CTRL+F4. :)

Frankly, i'm a very anti-mouse man.  It's one of the most unproductive tools
there is.  It's only great when you're beginning to learn how to communicate
to computers and just go "clicking" everywhere to see what happens.  It also
used to be a nice tool for graphic designers, but pen and tablets are the
norm these days.

For programming and every text-editing related tasks, mouse and menus suck,
as you stop what you're doing, move your hand away from the editing
keyboard area and waits as the menus "pop down" and show you options.  I
mean, about one week of constantly messing with a GUI program and you're
likely to have already decorated all the options in all menus and knows
exactly where each one is at each menu -- why should you wait for them to
showup?!  You're likely to even have decorated all shortcuts by repetitive
usage and they simply come over as naturally as walking...

Try it.  Try to forget the mouse for a while and just work your way through
the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts for commands or menu options.  Even
when working in Photoshop it saves you a lot of time! :D

BTW, ALT+f, then c does the same as CTRL+F4, however, doing it by keyboard,
though you barely even see the menu popup...