POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soma Cubes : Soma Cubes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:12 EDT (-0400)
  Soma Cubes
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 3 May 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.4458d27d8a973e581bd1c060@news.povray.org>
A while back I stumbled across these links for that great 3D puzzle, the
Soma Cube.

http://www.fam-bundgaard.dk/SOMA/SOMA.HTM
and
http://basden.net/somacube/

The Soma cube was invented by Danish physicist Piet Hein in the early 1930s,
while doodling at a lecture given by Heisenberg. The Soma cube pieces
consist of all the nonconvex polycubes of degree 4 or less. These pieces
can be assembled into a 3x3x3 cube in 240 different ways, not counting
rotations or reflections. (This was proved by John Conway, inventor of
Life).

I've played with this puzzle for over thirty years, but I never thought of
modelling it in POV before. The first link above has many hundreds of
patterns available, using a fairly simple notation. So I wrote an awk
script or two to extract the patterns from a webpage & to translate the
data into POV include files.

Source code (POV and AWK) available if anyone's interested.  Of course, I'm
not going to upload hundreds of converted patterns here!

Here are the basic Soma pieces, using Conways standard colours.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'somab2s.jpg' (47 KB)

Preview of image 'somab2s.jpg'