POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sandstone blocks : Re: Sandstone blocks Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sandstone blocks
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 3 May 2006 10:25:00
Message: <web.4458bb911843be331bd1c060@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> >
> > Yes, I was expecting you to be an expert in sedimentary rocks, from your
> > location. I guess you're attracted to more exotic geography. :)
>
> Well yes, I do certainly. But that said, the soft rock geology we have here
> can be very complex too and poses a lot of challenges.

Understood. Soft rock is just so much more porous than most hard rocks, and
even if the main particles are not very reactive (like quartz), they
provide plenty of spaces for other molecular species to react with each
other and with whatever is binding the sedimentary rock.

> However, the main
> problem is that you have to do most work from boreholes, and I miss those
> beautiful outcrops sometimes....
> >
> > There's a big tunnel being built here at the moment and my route to work
> > lets me see most of the constructions.

This is a tunnel for motor vehicles, running several kilometres. My
apartment is near one end, my place of work near the other. A collapse
happened (near the middle) in one of the ventillation tunnels late last
year, causing damage to an apartment block. Here's a link:
http://www.industrysearch.com.au/news/viewrecord.asp?id=19863

> > So I've seen plenty of freshly exposed sandstone lately.
> > Some of the pieces have been beautiful.

> Oh dear! Temptation! Temptation!  :-)

I've been tempted to grab some samples, before they get crushed and disposed
of... I'd send you some, but the postage would kill me. :)